To Transfer a Pistol Permit from Tompkins County:
Completely fill in the Pistol Permit Transfer Application - print 2 copies and sign both
Fill in the NYS License Amendment Form - print 2 copies and sign in the signature of the licensee area on both forms
- 2 Pistol Permit Transfer Applications (originals only)
- 2 NYS License Amendment Forms (originals only)
- 1 - $13.00 Check made payable to the Tompkins County Clerk ($5 for the transfer and $8 for the certified mailing)
We are no longer collecting transfer fees for other counties due to the varying fees and forms of payment accepted. Please contact the other county for information on how to proceed.
Tompkins County Clerk's Office
320 N Tioga St
Ithaca, NY 14850
Pistol Permit Recertification Information - please note the County Clerk's Office isn't handling the recertification process and all questions will need to be directed to the NYS Troopers
PISTOL LICENSE HOLDERS
If your pistol license was issued more than 5 years ago
You MUST RECERTIFY by
January 31, 2018
WHAT DOES ‘RECERTIFY’ MEAN?
- Recertification is required by law. Failure to recertify will result in license revocation and surrender of weapons.
- To recertify, you will need to supply your full name and client ID number (as found on your NYS Driver License or Non-Driver Identification Card), current resident address, date of birth and all handguns you own (make, model, serial numbers).
- If you have a current pistol license issued before January 15, 2013, you need to recertify. If you received your license after January 15, 2013 you will need to recertify prior to the 5 year anniversary of issuance.
HERE’S HOW TO RECERTIFY…
- On the Web– go to https://firearms.troopers.ny.gov/pprecert/welcome.facesand follow the instructions.
- By Mail– download the forms from https://troopers.ny.gov/firearms/or visit any NYS Police location
- By far, the web site is the easiest, most convenient and fastest way to obtain recertification status.
- Waiting to send in your recertification form until the last minute will not do you any good. Even though
you are compliant, your license will not be recertified until the information has been received and entered.
SAVE YOURSELF FROM MAJOR INCONVENIENCES BY RENEWING ONLINE!!
SPREAD THE WORD!!
- Help get this news out to ALL pistol license holders that you know. Many persons are not connected to
gun clubs and may not even know about this requirement.
- Recertification well before the 1/31/2018 deadline will avoid tremendous trouble and expense trying to get
your pistol license and handguns back after your pistol license was revoked and your handguns have been
surrendered to law enforcement. This scenario is bad for you, bad for law enforcement, and bad for gun owners in general.
THIS IS SERIOUS!!!.
Being a responsible, lawful gun owner means obeying the laws
whether we agree with them or not.