Harry Weldon, Historian
Dryden began as a town in the New Military Tract, created to provide land to Revolutionary War veterans, and allocated in 1790. The state identified Dryden as one of the original components of Tompkins County, created in 1817. Dryden contains, in addition to the Village of Dryden, the village of Freeville, the hamlet of Etna, and is home to an orchid nursery, specialty farming, and a number of horse farms. There are also state forests, Dryden Lake Park, and Sapsucker Woods within the Town and an Eight Square Schoolhouse. The population is 13,532.