The Moms PLUS+ team. Met them all here.
Moms PLUS+ — Parent Pregnancy & Lactation United Services — is a home visiting nurse program that provides maternal child health supportive services, free of cost, to residents of Tompkins County regardless of insurance status. Moms PLUS + is designed to improve equitable access to quality maternal child health care, increase lactation support for parents choosing to breast and chest feed and enhance the coordination of care with other community partners.
The Moms PLUS+ program offers a client centered approach by delivering gender affirming, harm reduction and trauma informed care to all participants.
Call Moms PLUS+ at (607) 274-6604.
On This Page
- Your first appointment
- Your nurse
- Childbirth classes
- Breast/chest feeding support
- Survivor Moms’ Companion
- Contact us!
Welcome to the Moms PLUS+ Program!
Ensure all birthing parents in Tompkins County receive equitable, holistic quality prenatal and postpartum care, through direct service provision, community collaboration, advocacy and education.
Become an integral service for Tompkins County families to achieve healthy pregnancies and successful birth outcomes for a thriving community.
Prenatal & Postpartum services
The following services are available via home visit or telehealth
- Health screening & monitoring
- Nutrition Screening & monitoring
- Infant Care education
- Lactation Counseling
- Psychoeducation for PTSD symptoms
- Childbirth and family planning
- Early childhood development
- Community resource referrals
Your First Appointment
If you are pregnant or parenting and live in Tompkins County, you're entitled to support from our Moms PLUS+ program. Call (607) 274-6604 to schedule an appointment. You will meet with a Community Health (CH) Nurse who will help you with:
- Free pregnancy testing
- Enrollment into the WIC program (if applicable)
- Make an appointment with a participating OBGYN
Your Community Health Nurse
After you are enrolled into our program, a CH Nurse will be assigned to support you. They will contact you to make appointments for home visits during your pregnancy and after delivery. The number of visits may vary according to necessity. At each visit during your pregnancy, your Nurse will:
- Assess your blood pressure, weight, and nutrition
- Listen to your baby’s heart beat
- Review how your pregnancy is going
- Prepare for your labor and delivery
- Start you on the path to successful breast/chest feeding
Meet Our Nurses! (Coming soon!)
FREE Childbirth Classes
Classes are subject to availability, please call 607-274-6604 for more information.
As a participant you will be offered convenient childbirth education classes for you and your birthing partner at the Health Department office located at 55 Brown Road, Ithaca NY. Community Health Nurses teach the classes which cover the following topics:
- Labor and delivery
- Relaxation techniques
- Medication Options
- Creating your birth plan
- Newborn care
Breast/chest Feeding Support
Your Community Health Nurse is a Certified Lactation Counselor. She can answer your questions about breastfeeding and help you to become a successful breastfeeding person. Your nurse will also visit you after your baby is born to weigh your baby, ask how feedings are going and answer any questions you may have about yourself and your newborn. For more information on breast/chest feeding, click here.
Survivor Moms’ Companion
Survivor Moms’ Companion (SMC) is a psychoeducational program designed to help women with a history of childhood maltreatment and other trauma break the cycles of abuse and psychiatric vulnerability in their lives and the lives of the newly born. Call us to learn more about the program.
- Survivor Moms’ Companion (SMC) website
- Is SMC Right for You? Questions you can ask yourself about the SMC to see if it is the right fit for you right now.
Let’s Talk About Home Visiting
Want pregnancy and parenting support? Home visiting is a free, voluntary program that matches new and expectant parents with caring professionals that help parents and their baby’s healthy environment.
TCHD offers the Moms PLUS+ home visiting program, which
- Takes referrals for pregnant and parenting families prenatally through 3 years old. All Tompkins County residents are eligible for this program.
- Offers monthly home visiting with a nurse who conducts weight measurements, blood pressure checks, breastfeeding support, nutrition, infant care information and more.
To learn more about what home visit programs are available in Tompkins County and see which one is right for you, download this poster!
Make your first appointment today. Call (607) 274-6604.
If you are currently enrolled in our program, feel free to call your Nurse between scheduled visits with any pregnancy, infant and/or breastfeeding questions that you may have.