Louise Bement, Historian
Janette Reeves, Deputy Historian
Lansing enjoys sweeping lake views and shoreline and is bisected by Salmon Creek that flows into Cayuga Lake. Lansing began as the southern portion of a Military Tract town, settled around 1794 and endowed with ample waterpower. It was an original segment of Tompkins County, created in 1817. The good soil in Lansing has supported numerous farms, a few still in the families of the original owners. The population of the town has more than doubled in the past forty years and is now 10,521. The Village of Lansing became a separate entity in 1974.