Generally, the Tompkins County Health Department provides uncertified transcripts of the following types of records for genealogy research purposes:
- Birth certificates - if on file for at least 75 years and the person whose name is on the birth certificate is known to be deceased. Also, no information shall be released from a record of birth which has been placed in a confidential file pursuant to Public Health Law Section 4138.
- Death certificates - if on file for at least 50 years.
Birth and death records for all areas of Tompkins County are from 1880 to present with the exception of the following:
- Village of Dryden: 1887–present
- Village of Freeville: 1894–present
- Town of Ithaca Births: 1886–present
- Town of Ithaca Deaths: 1893–present
- Town of Ulysses: 1922–present
- Village of Trumansburg: 1914–present
Are the time periods ever waived?
The time periods are waived for direct-line ancestors. A direct line ancestor is a person in the direct line of descent, i.e., the child, grandchild, great grandchild of the person whose record is requested. The direct-line ancestor applicant must provide the following:
- Proof of their relationship to the person whose record they are requesting.
- Proof of the death of the person whose birth certificate they are requesting.
A person who has been designated to act on behalf of a descendant of the person whose record is being requested may also obtain the above. However, a party acting on behalf of a descendant must provide documentation that the descendant authorized the party to make such application.
What is the fee for a genealogy transcript?
The standard fee for a genealogy transcript is $22. This includes a three-year search of the index, the retrieval and re-filing of the records and either a transcript of the record or a no record report. When more than a three-year search is requested, the fee is higher.
|1 to 3 years||
|4 to 10 years||
|11 to 20 years||
|21 to 30 years||
|31 to 40 years||
|41 to 50 years||
|51 to 60 years||
|61 to 70 years||
|71 to 80 years||
|81 to 90 years||
Fee schedule effective 1/1/2010
The fee applies separately to each record requested. For example, the fee for a request consisting of one birth record (1-year search @ $22), plus one death record (25-year search @ $82), is a total of $104.
Please note that a refund is made if the record is found in under the specified search period.
How long will it take?
Processing a genealogy request may take from four (4) to six (6) months.
How do I place an order for a genealogy transcript?
Click here for an Application
Mail your completed application to:
Tompkins County Health Department
Attn: Vital Records
55 Brown Road
Ithaca, NY 14850
Other Potential Genealogical Sources: Click here